Friday, July 24, 2020

Drindl's Choice

As they set out on their journey that morning, the mood had soured. When Bebe felt one of her eggs quicken, Alpen knew it was time. "A day or two," he told Fallon. "We can't keep the new ones warm enough." None of them knew what to do with Drindl while he was in musth the next few days.

"The work of pulling the travois is helping work off the energy but he has no judgment," Alithea told Fallon.

"I can't have him around the babes when they are born," Bebe insisted. "I don't trust him, or any warrior, in musth." With only a day or two left, she and Alpen were sharing egg nursing duty, and she wanted to pause their journey.

"With the faerie gone, I want to put at least another day's journey between us and Sarten," Alpen protested. "Please, one more day. We'll find something more stable tonight."

During that day's journey, Alpen made sure that Drindl stayed in harness until he was completely worn out by the time they broke for the evening meal near the river. "We'll have to take our chances with the wolfbear," Alpen said. He turned to Drindl who reeked of musth and was damp with sweat. "We'll have to stop to take care of the babies."

Drindl's face lit up. "I love babies! They're so cute. We could put them in the faerie cage. If the Faerie comes back, Fallon can tell him that the room is already taken!" He laughed and looked to the others to share in the joke. No one laughed. They looked to Alpen.

"Drindl, you're not thinking right," Alpen said. "You're a good warrior but I can't have you near the little ones. You leave us for the next few days or we can build a jail for you." Fallon stared in surprise when he heard this. Alpen continued. "We'll give you some privacy but you'll be locked up until I feel that you are safe to be around. Which do you prefer?"

Drindl stepped back from the others. "I saved you all and now you are casting me out!" he accused. "I can find my own spot. I don't need any of you, you know! I've been on my own since…whenever!" he paused.

"Drindl, your arm," Alithea said as she reached forward. He backed away from her.  "You're bleeding." He raised his bandaged arm and looked. "Drindl," she kept her tone even and caring. She glanced at the others quickly. "You need to have your bandages changed. When the scar is fully closed, you can go off on your own." He hesitated. "Drindl, you don't want to lose your arm. I have cut off limbs before. It's horrible. Please, Drindl." She reached again toward him and his posture changed. His shoulders fell and an angry wind inside him blew away.

"I am not an animal," he said. His voice was no longer belligerent. He sounded almost like Drindl before he went into musth. "I am a warrior. A hunter. A good one." He held out his bandaged arm to Alithea but spoke to the group. "Cage me if you must."


No comments:

Post a Comment