Monday, July 13, 2020

Eyes Wide Open


"First time?" Bebe asked Drindl.
"Last year, but not like this," Drindl said.
"Our eggs will hatch within a week and our scent will change," she said. "You won't be thinking clearly and you may…"
"Oh, no," Drindl interrupted. "I wouldn't…"
"Here me out," Bebe said. "Alithea and I were trained to work around warriors. We learned to cripple a warrior in musth who tries to mount us without permission."
"You don't have to worry about me," Drindl assured her.
"I won't hesitate," Bebe said. "Neither will Alithea. It will happen quickly, as though by instinct. You won't be able to continue the journey. A wolfbear meal." She said it calmly as though describing the path of the sun across the sky. "Didn't Alpen tell you?" she asked. "He's your teacher."
He shook his head. An alert warrior crippled by a woman? It didn't seem possible. "Thanks for the neck wrap," he said, then hurried his pace to catch up with Alpen and Fallon.
Again they moved away from the river to spend the night. They gathered dry winter's wood for the fire and finished the last of their food cache at the evening meal.
"Tomorrow morning we must hunt," Alpen said.
"Where are the Ibik?" Fallon asked. He didn't expect an answer. The other grazing animals that accompanied the Ibik herds were missing as well. The springy kuru and tail twitching gamelon were smallish animals with stringy meat but they would have been a welcome meal on this journey.
The three warriors sat side by side. Drindl leaned toward Alpen. "Can Bebe and Alithea cripple a warrior? Bebe said you were supposed to teach me." Alpen glanced sideways at him. Fallon laughed. Bebe and Alithea looked at the three warriors from the other side of the fire.
Fallon nudged Alpen in the side. "Didn't you tell him? He's your bantam. That was the first or second thing my teacher taught me."
Alpen signaled for Fallon to lower his voice. "I was focused on the battle, the energy. The tent was closed." He turned to Drindl. "Yes, they are doctors. They learned to heal and hurt. One swift kick. If they are kind to you, the kick tears the muscle from your bone. If they are not kind, a broken bone or worse."
"Well, at least I will be prepared to defend myself," Drindl said.
"No, you won't," Alpen said as he stirred the embers of the fire. A pop. Fallon looked across the fire at Erthen, at the glow of the dancing flames in the child's dark eyes. Erthen was mesmerized by the fire as he huddled in Alithea's arms.
"Their scent will change pretty soon," Alpen continued.
"Bebe said in a week or so," Drindl said. "I think she wanted to prepare me."
Alpen nodded. "She told you then. Depending on the wind direction, you may get their scent as we are walking. If you are pulling the travois, stop and tell me or tell them. We will reposition everyone."
"I'm not a rutting Ibik, Alpen." Drindl argued. "I can control myself. You can trust me."
"You will probably peak a few days before the eggs hatch. Let's all be careful," Alpen said. Fallon touched him to signal no more talk. He hoped Alpen did not have to hurt Drindl.
"We'll all be careful and look out for each other," Fallon repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment